Friday, February 25, 2011

Be careful when applying for jobs online

Like most seekers, I was applying for a job on the Internet.  Specifically, I was applying for a better job that payed more since my current job didn’t pay that much money.  I applied for a job at a shipping/warehouse company that paid 14$ per hour, which is actually about double what I’m currently making.  I received an e-mail about two days later that stated that I’ve been selected for a pre-screening and I must click on a link to finish this process.  I didn’t find anything wrong with this so I proceeded.


I filled out all the info they requested and thought I was done with everything.  Towards the end of the pre-screening, the company stated that I needed to bring a copy of my credit report to the interview.  They instructed me get one from Thinkcreditreport.com and that it was free through them at this time. They also said I had to do this first before I could submit my pre-screening info.  I saw no problem with this because they said it was “free” and that by doing this I was likely to receive the job.  Little that I know that they said was all lies.
First of all, the free credit report was not free.  Initially, they said it was free.  Then they said it was one dollar.  After that, they said it was one dollar to try it for seven days.  After the seven days, it was 29.95$ per month.  I was shocked by the entire situation, but I had to obtain this report in order to be considered for the job.  I finished the process and tried to submit my pre-screening info when the page stated that an error occurred and that it will be fixed shortly; that never happened.   I waited hours for this problem to be fixed but it never happened.  I tried to go back to the previous page, but it wouldn’t. I tried to e-mail the guy who e-mailed me about the job but for some reason the e-mail that I sent him came back….”TWICE”!!! 


I called the credit report company to cancel my membership, but this process took forever.  When I called, I was on hold for about a half hour.  When I did get through, I found out that they signed me up for all this stuff I did’t ask for such as magazine subscriptions and restaurant gift cards.  It took me twenty minutes to convince this guy to cancel my membership and all that other stuff I didn’t want.   Eventually, he did cancel my membership and I was finally done with all this crap.  Be careful out there people. If you have to spend any money of any amount to receive a job, don’t do it; especially if you have to enter your credit card information. Just click the back button and keep moving forward. 

No comments: